Work continues on the dining room table. Next step was to clean up the edges. Spent some time making a routing guide. Put the work into making sure the guide was straight, love a good hand plane.
I’d clamp the guide along the edge and use ¾" double bearing straight bit to get close. Then back the guide back a smidgen, triple check square and then do the final pass. After processing eight edges, had a nice pile of sawdust.
Not shown: now the edges were true, I used the router in the table to cut 3/8"x3/4" tongues on all the edges.
Edge jointed the Kiaat bread board ends and started work cutting the grooves. First stop was the table saw with a ¼" dado stack. Three passes of increasing depth to waste out most of the wood. Took a pass, flipped the board and took another pass. This guarantees the grooves are symmetric top to bottom.
Now to fine tune the fit for the tongues into the grooves. Worked on each board sequentially. I used a ¼" straight bit with a cut depth of ¾". No, I’m not trying to destroy the bit or kill myself. Though I had the bit to an unusually high depth, I advanced the cut at most 1/64". So still reasonable work for the bit. I was taking advantage of the click-wheel on the INCRA positioner (red wheel in the router table closeup photo). One click = 1/1024". This allowed me to sneak up on the fit. I have to use a mallet to test the fit. Nice and snug.
Just need to cut the ends to size and peg them into place. Then time for sanding and finishing.